Friday, June 07, 2013

Atermincas

An honest living iceberg. My mental calendar notes that this picture was taken in the Summer of 1978 when
the ship on which I served made a cruise across the Nort' Atlantic-this icegarden of bergs was off the coast of Greenland. Probably a Kodak 110 camera-nothing fancy.
I wasn't yet a Christian, by human figuring, though of course God had eternally elected me:
"Ephesians 1:4-6 (HCSB)
4  For He chose us in Him, before the foundation of the world, to be holy and blameless in His sight. In love
5  He predestined us to be adopted through Jesus Christ for Himself, according to His favor and will,
6  to the praise of His glorious grace that He favored us with in the Beloved."

But Summer of 1978? No clue about God or Life or any of the big questions. It's only through hindsight that
I can see that God has shepherded me all of my life.
A tired cliche-that people are like icebergs, 90% of our lives hidden below the surface, does have some truth.
Bouncing around the internets today I came across a site which matched mug shots citizens with their social media photos. The idea being how people perceive themselves against how law enforcement sees them.
It wasn't pretty.
I'm the same as anyone else-10 above and 90 below-but online? Maybe 2% of my life is seen online. And that is only because I have been blogging for lo these many years.
Here's a thought-God sees 100% of what we try to hide. God looks at our hearts and knows our motivations before we do. One of the greatest miracles is that He loves us anyway.

 

1 comment:

Doug said...

some things just are.

May God grant you the faith to accept
what He says.