Monday, February 01, 2010

The Mess After The Mess

"US Baptists knew removing kids was wrong"
was the banner headline.
I have no idea why some ten of my Baptist brethren attempted to take kids out of Haiti and back to the United States.
Compassion? Probably-I imagine we'll find out soon.
I've never been on the site of a major catasrophe, but if I had been one of the ten, I think I would have argued for re-uniting the children with any possible relatives, even cousins/aunts/uncles.
Compassion drives people to do many things which, in hindsight, were probably wrong. You may (or may not) have heard of a chapter in our own country's story that isn't much talked about:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orphan_Train
If that link doesn't quite work, just google "Orphan Trains"
If you're sending prayers up to God for the people/children of Haiti, I hope that you will join me in asking God to help these Christians who may have some harsher days ahead of them.

No comments: