Tuesday, March 03, 2009

I'm Not Laughing

1 Why do you boast in evil, O mighty man?
The lovingkindness of God endures all day long.

6 The righteous will see and fear,
And will laugh at him, saying,
7 “Behold, the man who would not make God his refuge,
But trusted in the abundance of his riches
And was strong in his evil desire.”
Psalm 52:1, 6-7

I'm not David. I understand what is intended, that those who trust in themselves instead of God are foolish. The point is made many times in scripture and elsewhere that no matter what you achieve or gather to yourself in this life, you carry no treasure into the next. Trusting in the abundance of your riches is as deadly as a heart attack.
But I can't laugh. Not today. I have too many friends who do not yet trust in God.
The only good which can come out of the present destruction of our global economy: as more people find that their money has grown wings and flown away, that they no longer have riches to trust in...they may yet appeal to God.
It may seem that Christians love it when you are miserable, so they can 'get you' when you are at your most vulnerable.
Not true-we are constantly pointing towards God, in good times and bad. But you only notice, pay attention when things get tough for you.
Before I became a Christian, I was in those perilous straits, in the deepest of troubles. That is what it took for me to look up, to ask God for His help, His Salvation. I praise God for those troubles, as they led me to Him.
The lovingkindness of God endures all day long.
If there were no Heaven or Hell, the mercy and lovingkindness which God has shown me in this life would be treasure enough. But Heaven awaits, and the treasure which I cannot not bring with me in the casket will be there ahead of me. But those are nothing compared to the treasure of being at Peace with God, and living in His Kingdom, in this life and the next. May God richly Bless you today.

No comments: