Monday, February 02, 2009

A Positive Positive

Chesed. There, I've said it-but what have I said?

Here it is as found in the Holman Bible Dictionary:
"LOVING KINDNESS Occasional KJV translation of the Hebrew, chesed. The Old Testament’s highest expression for love. It is variously called God’s election-, covenant-keeping, or steadfast love. It is a love which remains constant regardless of the circumstances. Although used mostly with God, it sometimes is used of love between people."

In the KJV Old Testament the word occurs 249 times, according to someone who counted them all. However many times it occurs, my favorite 'chesed' verse is found in Lamentations:
“21This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. 22It is of the LORD’S mercies {chesed} that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. 23They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. 24The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him. 25The LORD is good unto them that wait for him, to the soul that seeketh him. 26It is good that a man should both hope and quietly wait for the salvation of the LORD.”
Lamentations 3: 21-26 KJV

I usually work with the New American Standard version, which translates that particular ‘chesed’ as “lovingkindnesses”.
I LOVE the plural! Not one kindness, but many.
His compassions are new every morning, meaning that He is showing us compassion even before we wake up-His is a continual ‘chesed’ towards His children, His elect.
Praise God for His many kindnesses!

No comments: