Tuesday, October 09, 2007

And It Was Thirty Years Ago Today

When we all got together to play. Oct 10 1977 is the day I raised my hand and swore an oath, flew to California and entered ‘boot camp’. On that day I became a member of the Coast Guard and, good and bad, sunny and dark, it’s still a part of my life.
I wasn’t yet a Christian, although I had friends praying for me, asking God to save me. He took the path of most resistance (mine)-I had to go through quite a bit of Hell to make me long for Heaven. I don’t regret a moment of those days, even the bad times, as they help me keep today in perspective.
30 years. In many ways I still feel like a kid. Up until a few years ago, my motto was: “Stairs are meant to be run up, not walked.” I walk now. Moving to a desk job has made me sedentary, but I’m not ready for the old rocking chair yet.
26 years ago I was finishing up my service time, very eager to get out, move forward. I’ve lived in a few different states, had a few different careers, and I am satisfied that I am exactly where God wants me.
May it be that 30 years from now we will still be Praising God, here or in Heaven. God tells us that the span of a man's life is like the morning mist that burns away, compared to the eternity awaiting us.
I'll see Sandy and Don there, Lori and so many others whom I've been honored to know on my journey so far.
Sandy was one of the ones in charge of the Christian coffeehouse where I first became involved in fellowship. She is a great lady, and I hope to someday have as much compassion for others as was a natural gift for her.
Don and Lori and many others were part of that coffeehouse, and helped me to get grounded in the Word, while still a 'newbie' Christian. Praise God for making us Family, with a reunion ahead like the world has never seen. Amen.

No comments: