Tuesday, July 03, 2007

What a Wonderful Word!



“There is no Happiness without Liberty
No Liberty Without Justice”

I found this quote striking-originally it comes from the Federalist Papers (I looked it up-I had no idea where it was from) in a slightly modified form. It showed up in an unlikely movie-“Big Brown Eyes” starring Cary Grant and Joan Bennett, 1936. Grant plays a police detective who walks by this saying after seeing a killer set free on a technicality.


“34Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin. 35“The slave does not remain in the house forever; the son does remain forever. 36“So if the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.” John 8:34-36

I thought I was free back in the day, but I was career criminal, without Liberty, unhappy, as I wasn’t free from sin. Sin was at once my jailer, my judge, and my executioner.

We need to remember that if the Son has set us free, we are free indeed. If not for His bearing the brunt of our punishment on the cross to satisfy God’s Justice, we would not have precious Liberty. So truly there is ‘No Liberty Without Justice’. On this July 4th ‘Dependence on God Day’ may He Bless you and keep you Free.

No comments: