Thursday, March 08, 2007

Just a Smidgeon


There's a tendency in the world to think that being just a little dishonest is okay. Fudging a little, omitting a little information, flirting a bit, ignoring a legal obligation with no teeth, not keeping a promise to your child...you know, things that really don't seem to hurt anyone. Just a reminder that the Word says this:

The man of integrity walks securely, but he who takes crooked paths will be found out. Proverbs 10.9
I had to laugh when I heard that Mr. Obama "had no idea he had outstanding charges." A few weeks before he announced his presidential candidacy, he finally paid the parking tickets he received from Oct. 5, 1988 to Jan. 12, 1990.

Does anyone really believe that he didn't think he could just be a little dishonest back in 1990? Ignore the tickets and get away with it? Wouldn't it be better just to admit he walked a crooked path in 1990 and apologize, instead of pretending he didn't remember 17 parking tickets? Why would anyone feel the need to be dishonest about that?

Just as a matter of full disclosure, I've had a parking ticket. It was two years ago and I remember getting it. I paid it. I also got a speeding ticket. I fought the law on that one, and I won. I remember it quite distinctly, even though it was twenty years ago.

le

No comments: