Sunday, December 31, 2006

Safe Harbor


This post may confuse some of you out there, but bear with me. I’ll try to keep it short.
Just a few minutes ago a friend mentioned that she is “Not afraid to die.” and I know exactly what she means. There is no fear of death for a child of God. I do not want to live a single second longer than God has use for me on this earth. I can echo Paul’s famous, “21For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. 22But if I am to live on in the flesh, this will mean fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which to choose. 23But I am hard-pressed from both directions, having the desire to depart and be with Christ, for that is very much better; 24yet to remain on in the flesh is more necessary for your sake.” Philippians 1:21-24
I will never have such a ministry as Paul‘s, and I’m not really comparing our journeys, but we share the same Spirit, and destination.
Consider what this means for a child of God-with no fear of death, what is there to worry about? Nothing.
How would you like to go through life without carrying the burden of worry? I’d be a liar if I said that I had no worries at all-I’m human, and have fears and concerns like anyone else. But they are piffles, small change, hardly enough to break a sweat over. And even the few tiny worries that I do carry around I can lay down at the feet of my Lord.
“6Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6,7.
No matter what happens in this life, I know that I am assured of both God’s Love and His Providence, meaning that nothing can happen to me that He does not cause or allow to happen, both good and bad. The good is to bless me, and the bad is to teach me, so really, it’s all good, all working to Glorify God by conforming me to the image of Christ. Which I do not deserve. Charles Spurgeon, in writing a foreword to one of his books, signed as “His unworthy servant”. I am also His unworthy servant. I have been quite a reclamation project, but His Grace is greater than my faults and weaknesses.
If you wish to go through life stressed out and worrying about every little thing (and the BIG things, like life and death) you can go for it. You might even think that I am a deluded fool to trust in an invisible God Who, according to most of the world, doesn’t even exist. Most of the world is as wrong as kittens on ice skates.
I follow Jesus who said, “28“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. 29“Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30“For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
Amen.

No comments: