Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Obligatory Halloween Post


“From ghoulies and ghosties
And long-leggedy beasties
And things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord, deliver us!”
Old Scottish prayer

This is a non-holy day for me. Whatever it’s origin, it now is a pagan celebration, pagan in the way of Mardi Gras or NFL tailgate parties. I have no urge to costume up, though in the past I would throw together a costume for work parties, such as we are having tonight. My scariest entry will be the sloppy joes I’m going to make. Boo!
Whether true or not, I heard yesterday that pagans who identify themselves as pagans in Britain can have Halloween off with pay, as this is a religious holy day for them. As most pagans also grumble but accept a paid day off to not celebrate Christmas, this is known as being religiously correct. I guess if a few Anastazi Indians stood up in Britain and demanded the right to practice their religion, including the human sacrifices, the Parliament would bow down and give their blessing, as who wants to be known as a religious bigot? Can’t get re-elected with that on your name.
Didn’t mean to scare you! This is NOT a political screed a week before you know what-I’ve tried to keep my hands clean of that stuff here at FDW.
I try to keep it simple. The Bible says to have nothing to do with the ‘occult’. So, no séances, no Ouija boards, no talking to dead people, no messin around with witches or demons. I’ve had plenty of experiences in my life which could be termed ‘occult’-but I don’t seek them out, and I recognize my place in the spiritual warfare which goes on all around us: on my knees, praying to God.
To those who like to dress up-have fun. If you’re comfortable costuming as a devil or goblin because you don’t think they exist, have at it. We’re steeped in a culture which tells us that those things aren’t real.
I know what is real, and am not a bit frightened when I hear or see a ‘ghost’. Because God tell us not to fear, as He is in charge. So for me life is all Treats, no tricks.

No comments: