Tuesday, July 04, 2006

My Hometown and Downsizing









My hometown of 30 years ago, Mandan, North Dakota, was mentioned in this article of cnn.com, so I just feel obliged to share the article and include a couple of pictures of the 4th of July parade I was at a few years ago in Mandan. A little piece of Americana.

I remember marching in the parade on July 4, 1975, two months after my oldest son was born. I was probably 30 pounds overweight from my first pregnancy. My old band teacher from high school called me up to see if I could march because he couldn't get enough volunteers from the students. At the time, my high school wore black wool uniforms head to foot and a huge shako on our heads. Ever heard that word "shako?" Probably only if you're a band nerd from the seventies. Anyway, it was about 94 degrees when we started at one end of my little main street and by the time I got to the other end, carrying a mellophone, I had lost 11 pounds. No kidding. It was the second hardest thing I've ever done in my life.

Every pregnancy, extra poundage, and every year after age 30, except for the last five, I've put on weight. So now I've hired a personal trainer to get me back into shape. Just like Oprah. I start next week. Any ideas on how not to hurt at my age? I'm not too jazzed about the whole thing, but I've got to lose weight so I can get off blood pressure pills. What have I gotten myself into? Your prayers for my sore muscles will be appreciated.

le

No comments: