Thursday, March 30, 2006

Hey! How'd you get here?

The Japanese
By Ogden Nash

How courteous is the Japanese;
He always says, “Excuse it, please.”
He climbs into his neighbor’s garden,
And smiles, and says, “I beg your pardon”;
He bows and grins a friendly grin,
And calls his hungry family in;
He grins, and bows a friendly bow;
“So sorry, this my garden now.”

We are a nation of former immigrants, for the most part. An emigre, by definition, is an expatriate-no longer a part of their country of origin. When my grand grand grands entered America, they left behind the citizenship and rights/wrongs they had enjoyed/endured in their former countries, and became remarkably American.

And they did so legally, as far as I know. As a Christian, I am called to speak honestly, honor truth, never lie or cheat on my taxes or do anything which would dishonor the name of Christ. Though I have compassion for those who are coming to America to build a better life, I cannot condone someone stealing into another country to reap the benefits of a better life there. I would enjoy living in a mansion-but I have no right to break into someone else’s mansion and take it over just because my house isn’t as grand. I would be cheating that owner and cheating myself, as I hadn’t earned what I desired. A lady commenting at La Shawn’s blog, Renee, used just the right word: covetousness. The illegal aliens covet what we have.
And that’s a sin.

No comments: