Sunday, March 19, 2006

A Freed Slave’s Guide To Middle-Earth

1Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God; 3and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God; this is the spirit of the antichrist, of which you have heard that it is coming, and now it is already in the world. 4You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world. 5They are from the world; therefore they speak as from the world, and the world listens to them. 6We are from God; he who knows God listens to us; he who is not from God does not listen to us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error. 1 John 4:1-6

Spirit Test #1: Does a prophet confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh? Y/N
If N, no other test is necessary. Let me write that again. If a prophet does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh, they are not from God, and are in fact anti-Christ.
Mohammed fails this test. Islam is based on writings which reject Jesus Christ as God.
You can’t get roses from corn stalks, swat a skunk and you aren’t sprayed with Chanel No. 5, and you can’t be accepted as a prophet of God if you are, in fact, anti-Christ.
Before I accepted Christ, I had no idea who or what God was, and I had no animosity towards Islam or any other religion. Who was I to say who was right?
I lacked the equipment for spiritual discernment. Notice the past tense.
When I became a Christian, I gained spiritual discernment through the indwelling of the Holy Spirit; it’s not mumbo-jumbo, and I wasn’t brainwashed by some church.
I spent my first three months as a Christian alone with God, praying, reading the Bible and a few other helpful books- I didn’t even visit a church until I began to be grounded.
If hearing the Gospel elicits a negative reaction from you, if it makes you angry, then you are a slave to sin. Lincoln freed the slaves, and Jesus frees slaves to Sin and makes it possible for former slaves to be accepted as adopted children by our loving God.
And God gives gifts to His children, including the spiritual discernment John is talking about in the above scripture. “6We are from God; he who knows God listens to us; he who is not from God does not listen to us.” Are you not listening to us? To John, Paul, Peter and the other Apostles? Reject Christianity out of hand? Take it from a former slave: Jesus Christ is the Way, the Truth, and the only One who can break the chains of Sin and set you free.
Notice that John says that ‘many false prophets have gone out into the world.’ This was written nearly 600 years before Mohammed, but even he doesn’t have that market cornered. I saw another new “prophet” today on one of the religious channels, reading from his own new book of prophecies. He had the entire religious garb, spouting religious garbage. I reject his being a prophet as much as I do Mohammed or Sylvia Browne.
Many false prophets claim to be Christian; it all comes down to the nit/grit above: do they accept Jesus as the Christ, the only Son of God, the one source of salvation? If not, they fail the test, and should be as soundly rejected and scorned as that other liar, Mohammed.
“I’m not calling him names; I’m merely being descriptive.”
In Tolkien’s sagas, Middle-Earth is a fanciful creation where humans interact with elves, hobbits, dwarves, demons and evil gods. Magic can save the day or curse a ring.
There is no mythic Middle-Earth where Christians and Muslims, Hindi and other pagans can all be right. I’d sooner believe that Tom Bombadill could come dancing through my door.
So I reject Islam as a false path, one of many. Read about Joseph Smith and Mormonism and you can see the same pattern as Mohammed followed. Guess what? They fail the same test. So do Seventh Day Adventists. Buddhists. Pee wee Herman (I just threw that in.)
So, who passes the test? Those called by His name who accept Him as the Son of God.
Really, it’s not too hard to figure out. Many a child answers correctly, while many an adult fails. Ask God for proof; accept it when you see it. Live happily ever after past
The End.

No comments: