Thursday, October 20, 2005

Same Rags


Awhile back I mentioned a man I used to work for named Ray, when we both worked for “Uncle Ralph”.
One of Ray’s favorite sayings was: “You have to get glad in the same rags you got sad in.”
I always took that to mean don’t look for something or someone else to make you happy-you may be waiting a long time. When we are going through a bad patch, difficult times, it is better to face the problems and resolve them than worry and wonder and hope things get better. As a Christian, I know that no matter what difficulties arise, God not only has a plan for me to get through them, but is with me so I never face them alone.
Yes, He also allows the troubles to happen-we all face some tribulations; many Christians see persecution and torture today that I may never face. The Bible calls such Christians “Blessed.” I am in no way comparing my problems to theirs, but no matter what the circumstance, great or small, God sees us through.
Jesus spoke these words to His disciples, just before He was arrested. They contain a promise which we can claim also: “These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.” John 16:33
We all have times when the imperative, “Rejoice!” seems like a mockery, a stale dry biscuit in our mouths, and Praising God for our difficulties seems like the least sensible thing to do.
But there is the secret, the Oil, the very essence of Holiness: God is our only true help and deliverer. He has promised in His Word to take care of His children, and a heart seeking renewal, a child in need, though he or she may find it the hardest labor possible, must begin their prayer with Praise. When we least feel like it is when we need to Praise God the most. Honor God and trust that He will see you through your troubles. And don’t try to tell Him how that should be accomplished, either.
Simply Praise God, Rejoice, Pray, repeat as necessary.

No comments: