Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Random Thoughts Tuesday


Randomly thoughting today, I am thankful that God has graced me with another beautiful day. As every good gift comes from above, I know Who to thank. What a non-Christian sometimes can’t get his or her head around is that we thank God for bad days, too. “In all things, give thanks.” isn’t just a nice idea-it’s scriptural. So is rejoicing that God is with us, working in our lives: Philippians 4:4-9---
“4Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice! 5Let your gentle spirit be known to all men. The Lord is near. 6Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
8Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things. 9The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you.

Sometimes, my spirit isn’t gentle-I can get downright un-gentle, and I have probably been a bad witness for Christ because of it. But God has Grace to cover my flaws, and bring me forward to where I do have a gentle spirit. It always begins with praise for God. We praise and pray, and find delight in that God takes care of His children. What Mother or Father hasn’t told a scared child, “Don’t worry-everything will be all right?” The admonition to God’s people throughout the Bible is: “Don’t worry about anything-God loves you and is taking care of you.”

These verses in Philippians also give us another key to living at peace with God and ourselves-dwell on the good instead of the bad. Sound psychology that even non-Christians can take to heart. We do not delude ourselves that the world is full of happy sunshine-but God blesses us in many ways, and we should be thankful, dwelling on those good things that He has done, rather than on how terrible the world is.

I chose this picture for Random Thoughts Tuesday because it always makes me laugh, to see the me that used to be. And I didn’t want le to think she was the only one who looked great in high school.

No comments: